The Spokane Chapter has been in Spokane longer than any other Autism group. We were called the Spokane Autism Co-op before we joined ASW. We have been an important resource for people affected by autism of all ages, not just preschool or younger than 18 years old.
The Autism Society promotes lifelong community access for persons within the Autism spectrum including those with Asperger’s Syndrome through family support, public awareness, advocacy and collaboration with community partners. We follow the ASW “options policy”.
What we do in Spokane
- We offered Family Support Meetings through out the year on the 3rd Wednesday of the month
- We provided Free Movie Tickets for Sensory Friendly movies
- Hosted a Free Holiday Reception following the December Sensory Friendly Movie
- Hosted a Picnic in August for Adults with Aspergers
- Hosted an Pizza Party/Support Meeting in October for Adults with Asperges
- Hosted Monthly Asperger’s Game Day Support Group for Teen/Young Adults
- Started a Family Activity Event for Kids on the Spectrum ages 7-12.
Awareness & Advocacy
Published a resource manual with contacts for a variety of services in the Spokane/Eastern Washington Area. (Available at meetings for $5 to cover printing costs.) We distributed free copies to local pediatricians for our April Awareness effort.
We were instrumental in helping the Community Colleges of Spokane in adding classes for adults on the Spectrum to the PACE program.
Read Options Policy